We are pleased to support our students and issue letters of recommendation for a scholarship, internship, applications for companies and master programs in Germany and abroad.
The requirement for a letter of recommendation is the successful completion of at least one course of the professor from whom you want to have the letter.
Please note the following:
- We will not issue a letter of recommendation without a personal interview with you. In this interview, you should be prepared to explain your motivation for the application and to demonstrate your qualifications. Please do consider that impressions from this interview are no full replacement of indicative test results or written/oral contributions during courses at our chairs.
- If possible, contact the person you are requesting the reference from well in advance and, in any case, at least four weeks before the date that the reference is needed.
- In addition to your request for a letter of recommendation, please send the following documents by e-mail to the responsible secretary:
- Indicative CV including working reference
- Current overview of grades (HisQis-printout) and final grade certificate
- Declaration of completed courses at the Chair of Southeast Asia Studies or the Chair of Comparative Development and Cultural Studies – Southeast Asia, including grades
- Address of the organization at which you are applying
- Requirements regarding the letter of recommendation: as recommendations are demanded in various forms by different institutions, it is your responsibility to inform us about the corresponding requirements
You can find more information on studying or interning abroad on the German page.
The International Office provides advice on partner universities in Southeast Asia, grant opportunities and requirements.
The Centre for Careers and Competencies offers advice on work experience abroad, covering all stages of the process from job searches and submitting an application to writing up the final report.
The Bavarian-Indian Centre has a list of grant opportunities for study and internships in India.
The Chair recognizes academic achievements obtained abroad. These must have a connection to cultural studies that is clearly apparent in the title of the course or other learning event and/or the topic of written work. The Language Centre is responsible for recognition of language qualifications obtained abroad.
Procedures for obtaining recognition of foreign exam results overseas are explained here. A separate learning agreement, authorized by the department concerned, is required for recognition of each course or learning event and transfer of the grades attained. The formal criteria for recognition are as follows:
- The title of the course or learning event and supporting information must be in German or English
- The proof of completion (e.g. certificate or academic transcripts) must indicate the type of learning event (e.g. lecture course, tutorial, or seminar)
- The ECTS credit points assigned to the course must be known
- For recognition of grades (e.g. for exams or course work), there should be a clear correspondence with grades awarded for assessed courses at the University of Passau.
Proofs of completion are official documents and when grades are recognised these will appear on the corresponding academic transcripts issued by Passau University. For this reason compliance with the formal criteria for recognition is essential. Please find out about this before you submit your application!
For recognition of academic achievements obtained during a study semester abroad, please contact Dr. Christian Dölle .
Please note we cannot recognize the results of courses undertaken as part of a study program that has already been completed.