Department of Southeast Asian Studies
FAQ for the Masters' degrees with specialization in Southeast Asian Studies

FAQ for the Masters' degrees with specialization in Southeast Asian Studies

Master Development Studies

The degree program Development Studies offers Southeast Asian Studies as a specialisation. For further information about this program please visit the homepage of Development Studies Passau.

The degree program Southeast Asien Studies has been discontinued and the University no longer accepts applications for this programme. For other information concerning the Southeast Asian Studies programme, consult the study and examination regulations and the module catalogue.






What are the formal requirements for written assignments?

Please refer to the document Advice on academic work as well as to the APA STYLE LITE and the Harvard Referencing Style.

How can I select an appropriate topic for my Master’s thesis?

Students are encouraged to select a topic for their Master’s thesis that is focused on Southeast Asia. Find out here about ourongoing research and discuss your ideas with academic members of staff.

Possible thematic areas at each department include:

A)´Department of Comparative Development and Cultural Studies (Specialization: Southeast Asia)

  • Comparative developmental research, development policy and processes
  • Institutional analysis
  • Transdisciplinarity and interdisciplinarity
  • Gender studies
  • Social ecology, rural development
  • Social movements, civil society organizations, activism
  • Religion, Islam

B) Department of Southeast Asian Studies

  • Comparative developmental research, development policy and processes
  • Institutional and organizational analysis, network analysis
  • Conflict, catastrophe and nation building
  • Urbanization, urban life, medium-sized town, peri-urban areas, investment in housing
  • Media, state-media relations, new media, social networks, community radio
Where can I get advice on study abroad?
  • Follow this link for information on cooperation agreements with universities in Southeast Asia
  • The International Office provides advice on Partner Universities, funding opportunities and entry requirements
  • The Intern Office of the Kuwi netzwerk international e.V. (University of Passau students and alumni association) regulates the recognition of one-month internships in Germany of abroad undertaken as part of the cultural studies program (only in German)
  • The Career Service provides advice for all stages of the internship: from the search for a position and the application process to writing and presenting the Internship Report (only in German)
Can I get recognition for academic credits obtained overseas?

Basically, academic credits are recognized if they are directly related to cultural studies. The relation to cultural studies must be explicit in the title of the study module and/or the dissertation. The recognition of language course credits obtained overseas is handled by the Language Centre.

If the credit includes a grade, this will also be recognized by the University and included in your academic transcript. The formal requirements for recognition of academic credits are as follows:

  1. The title of the study module (or other work for which the credit was obtained) must be in English or German.
  2. The type of study module (lecture course, practical training, proseminar etc.) must be explicit in the certificate.
  3. The number of ECTS credits obtained must be known.
  4. For accreditation towards the Exam Modules, it must be clear which grade for the degree course at Passau corresponds to the original grade obtained.

Since academic transcripts are official documents, and grades obtained in the Exam Module are specified on the Degree Certificate, it is essential to comply with the formal criteria listed above. Please find out in advance whether or not your credits meet these criteria!

Please also note that the academic transcript must be written in a language the course Chair can understand. Professor Korff accepts transcripts in English, German and Thai, and Professor Padmanabhan in German and English.

Please note: Academic credits obtained for completed undergraduate courses cannot be recognized towards a master’s degree.

How should I go about requesting an academic reference?

If possible, contact the person you are requesting the reference from well in advance and, in any case, at least two weeks before the date that the reference is needed. You should provide a copy of your CV, transcript of grades, and a short written request for a reference, explaining why you need it. Bear in mind that an academic member of staff can only provide a meaningful reference if s/he has had prior personal contact with you, for example if you have attended a lecture course that s/he has given.